Final Score: Maryland 5, VCU 3
Location: Vrooman Field at Springs Brooks Stadium (Conway, S.C.)
Records: VCU 1-2, Maryland 1-2
The Short Story: Maryland outlasted VCU 5-3 to round out opening weekend. The loss moved the Rams to 1-2 on the season.
- Zac Ching led the way for VCU with two hits in four at-bats and scored a run for the Rams.
- Brandon Henson had two hits on Sunday in four at-bats
- Brett Norwood, Liam Hibbits, Steven Carpenter and Alex Taylor each recorded one hit for the Rams
- VCU totaled 8 hits and 8 strikeouts on Sunday
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Maryland scored the first run of the game after a Maxwell Costes sacrifice fly gave the Terrapins a 1-0 lead.
- After singles by Zac Ching and Brandon Henson and a walk by Paul Witt, the bases were loaded with Jack Schroeder up to bat. Schroeder was hit by the pitch and Ching walked home to score the first Rams run and tie the game at 1-1.
- Maryland retook the lead 2-1 in the top of the third on Taylor Wright's single drove Chris Alleyne home.
- In the bottom of the fourth, Josh Simon stole home on a wild pitch to tie the game at 2 apiece. A few moments later, Zac Ching forced a failed pickoff attempt which allowed Alex Taylor to score on a throwing error. The play put the Rams up 3-2 heading into the fifth inning.
- The Terrapins went back up 4-3 in the 6th inning on RBI's by Seb Holte-Mancera and Randy Bednar respectively.
- Bednar recorded his second RBI of the game for Maryland when he singled to allow Holte-Mancera to score and extend Maryland's lead to 5-3.
- The Rams were unable to complete a ninth inning rally and left the tying runs on base.
VCU will be back in action Wednesday, Feb. 20, for a 3 p.m. matchup with UNC.