Final Score: VCU 8, Campbell 7
Location: Vrooman Field at Springs Brooks Stadium (Conway, S.C.)
Records: VCU 1-1, Campbell 1-1
The Short Story: VCU used a 5-run sixth inning to beat Campbell 8-7 and earn their first win of the season. Eight different Rams had a hit on the day.
- Paul Witt led VCU with two hits in four at-bats and two RBI's.
- Hunter Vay and Alex Taylor had two hits each, in addition to scoring a run for the Rams
- Hogan Brown had two hits in five at-bats and scored two VCU runs on Saturday
- Evan Chenier earned the win for the Rams, while Mac McCarty was credited with a save
- VCU totaled 12 hits in Saturday's win
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the top of the first inning, Witt recorded his first RBI of the game when his single to center allowed Brown to score. The play gave the Rams a 1-0 lead.
- Campbell responded by scoring 2 runs in the bottom half of the inning to take a 2-1 lead heading into the second.
- In the bottom of the second, Campbell's Collin Wolf hit a solo homer to left, extending the Camel's lead to 3-1.
- After three consecutive singles to start the fourth inning, Alex Taylor stepped to the plate with the bases loaded. His single to left field drove home Jack Schroeder to cut the deficit to 3-2.
- Chenier posted his second inning of the day without allowing a hit to help VCU keep the score at 3-2. He also struck out a team-high three batters during his time on the mound.
- In the fifth inning, Brett Norwood tied the game at 3-3 when he scored off of Schroeder's single to right.
- Campbell scored three runs in the bottom of the fifth to re-take the lead at 6-3.
- The Rams used a 5-run sixth inning to take an 8-6 lead of the Camels. Ching, Vay, and Brown each scored on Rams hits, while Witt and Taylor both scored on Campbell mistakes.
- Campbell's rally attempt fell short when VCU's defense forced a double play on the final play of the game.
VCU will be back in action tomorrow, Feb. 16, for an 11 a.m. matchup with Maryland.