Final Score: Coastal Carolina 10, VCU 8
Location: Vrooman Field at Springs Brooks Stadium (Conway, S.C.)
Records: VCU 0-1, Coastal Carolina 1-0
The Short Story: VCU came up just short in a tough opening day matchup with Coastal Carolina. The Chanticleers used a 5-run sixth inning to take a lead they would never relinquish.
- Hogan Brown led the way for VCU recording four hits in six at bats to go along with two RBI's and one run.
- Paul Witt and Zac Ching combined for four hits and three RBI's for the Rams
- Brandon Henson hit a homerun and scored two runs for VCU
- The Rams bullpen of Connor Gillispie, Benjamin Dum and Curtis Bafus struck out a total of 13 batters on Friday
- Four Rams had at least two hits on the way to 15 total hits as a team.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- With the score sitting at 0-0 in the top of the second inning, Brown earned the first RBI of the season when he singled to center to bring home Josh Simon and advance Alex Taylor to third. A few moments later, Ching doubled to center to score both Taylor and Brown and put the Rams on top 3-0.
- Coastal Carolina responded with a 2-run homer by Parker Chavers to cut the lead to 3-2 heading into the third.
- Witt and Henson helped extend the Rams to 5-2 in the top of the fourth, after both hit singles to drive in Ching and Norwood respectively.
- Trailing 5-3 in the bottom of the sixth inning, Keiton Rivers and Keaton Weisz combined for four RBI's to give Coastal Carolina a 7-5 lead. Cory Wood extended the lead to 8-5 after his double allowed Weisz to cross the plate.
- Henson hit the first VCU homerun of the season in the top of the seventh to trim Coastal's lead to 8-6 with two innings to play.
- In the bottom of the eighth, Zach Biermann hit a 2-run homer to right field to push the Chanticleers lead to 10-6.
- The Rams rallied to put two runs on the board in the top of the ninth after Henson and Schroeder both scored, but couldn't quite come complete the comeback and left Simon on base.
VCU will return to action tomorrow, Saturday, Feb. 16 for an 11 a.m. matchup with Campbell.