Final Score: George Washington 4, VCU 1
Location: Tucker Field at Barcroft Park (Arlington, Va.)
Records: VCU 34-23, George Washington 30-25
The Short Story: The VCU Rams have their season come to a close late Wednesday night, as they fell to George Washington 4-1 in the Atlantic 10 Championship First Round elimination game. The Black & Gold finish the season at 34 wins.
- Both Daane Berezo and Steven Carpenter collected multi-hit games. Berezo would finish the game 2-for-3 with a walk, while Carpenter went 2-for-4.
- Hogan Brown finished 1-for-4 with a run scored, while Paul Witt was on the receiving end of the run scored going 1-for-4 with an RBI.
- Brett Willett had the only extra base hit for VCU, collecting a double.
- Starting pitcher Sean Thompson finished the outing second all-time in ins in VCU history, while also finishing fourth in games started. He also cracked the top ten in innings pitched and strikeouts.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams ran into trouble in the top of the ninth inning, as the Colonials put two cushion runs on after loading the bases. Robbie Metz brought home the third run with an RBI single, while the fourth run scored on a wild pitch in the next at-bat.
- VCU cut the lead to 2-1 in the bottom of the third inning. With two out, Brown and Berezo each singled right back up the middle. Witt would then follow that up with a single of his own to left, scoring Brown.
- The Colonials opened the scoring in the top of the first inning. In a frame that took 21 minutes to complete, George Washington scored two runs on a bases-loaded single from Dominic D'Alessandro.
- George Washington were able to load the bases in the top of the fifth inning with two out. However, a strikeout by Thompson would end the inning, keeping the score 2-1.