Final Score: VCU 5, Iona 4
Location: The Diamond (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 13-8, Iona 4-12
The Short Story: A sacrifice fly in the bottom of the sixth inning off the bat of Andrew Schatz would be the difference on Sunday afternoon, as the VCU Rams defeated the Iona Gaels by a final score of 5-4. The win would give the Black & Gold their ninth victory in a row.
- Daane Berezo went 2-for-2 on the day, walking twice to reach all four times to the plate on the day. He would also add a run scored.
- Connor Gillispie threw four scoreless innings, raking up nine strikeouts and only allowing two hits and one walk.
- Paul Witt also added two hits, going 2-for-4 with a double.
- Schatz and Mitchel Lacey each added RBI's on sacrifice flies, while Haiden Lamb added two runs scored.
- Josh Simon and Brett Willett added doubles as their lone hits on the day.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU was able to jump on the board first, taking advantage of two Iona errors to score three runs in the first and second innings. Both runs were scored on throwing errors, putting VCU up 3-0.
- The Rams all-important fifth run would come in the bottom of the sixth inning, as a sacrifice fly from Schatz would give VCU their fifth run of the ballgame, which would be much needed late.
- Gillispie would cruise through the first four innings, holding the Gaels scoreless. Braxton Wilks would hold down the fort through the fifth as well, tossing a 1-2-3 inning.
- While a sacrifice fly by Lacey in the bottom of the fifth gave the Rams a 4-0 lead, Iona would get their offense rolling in the top of the sixth inning. A pair of RBI singles would give them a pair of runs to cut the VCU lead in half.
- Iona would score runs thanks to an RBI double in the seventh and an RBI single in the ninth would bring the Gaels within a run. But Mac McCarty would shut the door and notch his ninth save of the season in two innings of work.
VCU will return to action Wednesday, March 21 when the Rams travel to Lexington to take on the VMI Keydets. First pitch is slated for 6 p.m.