Final Score: VCU 5, Saint Joseph's 4
Location: The Diamond (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 27-16 (15-3 A-10), Saint Joseph's 14-22 (6-9 A-10)
The Short Story: It would take everything in the tank for the VCU Rams on Sunday afternoon, as they were able to use a late push of runs to hold off the Saint Jospeh's Hawks by a final score of 5-4. Sam Donko grabbed his 12th save of the season, while starter Michael Dailey grabbed the win for VCU.
- Darian Carpenter led the offense, as he muscled out a four hit day going 4-for-5 on the afternoon.
- Paul Witt and Logan Farrar each churned out multi-hit games as well, as both went 2-for-5. Witt added an RBI while Farrar added a run scored.
- Steven Carpenter also reached base twice, scoring both times as he went 1-for-4 with a walk.
- Both Daane Berezo and Dylan Isquirdo were productive at the bottom of the lineup, each going 1-for-3 with a walk and a run scored.
- Dailey went 6.1 innings in the win, giving up seven hits, two runs, three walks, and six strikeouts.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU would put pressure on early, loading the bases in the bottom of the first inning. Brett Willett would get hit by a pitch, forcing in a run and giving VCU a 1-0 lead.
- The Rams added on in the bottom of the second, as an infield single from Darian Carpenter forced a bad throw to first base, allowing a run to score and moving all runners up. Paul Witt would follow up with an RBI single and give VCU a 3-0 lead.
- Saint Joseph's had a chance to get on the board in the top of the third inning, but Daane Berezo would make a great play with the infield in and throw out Deon Stafford, Jr. at the plate to keep the score 3-0 in favor of the Rams.
- Things settled in through the middle innings, until the Hawks finally struck in the top of the seventh. Taylor Boyd popped a solo home run, followed by a single and walk before Charlie Concannon doubled down the right field line, scoring another run and cutting the lead to 3-2.
- However, Benjamin Dum would grab back-to-back strike outs to end the inning and maintain the lead for VCU heading into the bottom of the seventh.
- The Rams came back with a run in the bottom of the seventh, as both Carpenters singled to start the inning. Witt then put down a sacrifice bunt to move up the runners. However, the throw would go up the line, allowing one run to score and give the Black & Gold a 4-2 lead.
- VCU added one more in the bottom of the eighth, as Dylan Isquirdo was able to come all the way around after a leadoff single and score on a passed ball. That would be a key run, as the Rams lead grew to 5-2 going to the top of the ninth.
- The Hawks made things interesting, grabbing a pair of runs against Sam Donko in the top of the ninth to cut the lead to 5-4 with one out. However, Donko was able to get a strike out and pop up to clinch his 12th save of the season, and the win for VCU.
VCU will return to action this Tuesday, May 2 as the Rams travel to VMI to take on the Keydets. First pitch on Tuesday is set for 6 p.m. VCU defeated VMI earlier this year at The Diamond by a final score of 5-4 back on April 18.