Final Score: VCU 11, Davidson 4
Location: The Diamond (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 21-15 (10-2 A-10), Davidson 18-15 (8-7 A-10)
The Short Story: In the hole early 3-1, the VCU Rams would fight their way back and take an 11-4 win over the Davidson Wildcats on Sunday afternoon. The win would give the Rams another series victory, and keep the Rams in first place in the Atlantic 10.
- Zac Ching would bolster the offense on the day, going 3-for-4 with a home run, double, five RBI, two runs scored, and a walk. It would be the second game this season a Ram would record five RBI or more in a single game. Ching also extended his hitting streak to seven games.
- Dylan Isquirdo also notched his first three-hit game of the season, going 3-for 5 with a double, two RBI, and a run scored.
- Logan Farrar, Steven Carpenter, Paul Witt, and Mitchel Lacey all recorded two-hit games. Witt collected his team-high 16th multi-hit game this year, and extended his hitting streak to eight games.
- Darian Carpenter, Haiden Lamb, and Brett Willett each collected an RBI on the game as well.
- Sam Donko would collect his eighth save of the season in 3.1 innings of shutout relief pitching.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Davidson would make the first move in the top of the third inning, as a leadoff triple from Justin Lebek would lead to an RBI groundout, giving Davidson the 1-0 lead.
- The Wildcats would add two more unearned runs in the top of the third as Brian Fortier singled into center field with the bases loaded, scoring two and putting the score at 3-0.
- The Rams would get on the board in the bottom of the third, as Darian Carpenter drew a bases loaded walk with two outs to force home a run. That would cut the score to 3-1.
- VCU would come within one run in the bottom of the fourth, as Isquirdo lined a single into left field, scoring Ching from second to put the score at 3-2.
- Will Robertson would bring the score back to a two run lead for Davidson, 4-2, with a solo home run in the top of the fifth inning.
- The Black & Gold weren't going down without a fight, as VCU put up three runs in the bottom of the fifth to take a 5-4 lead. Thanks to a bases loaded walk from Ching, that led to a sacrifice fly from Lamb and RBI single from Isquirdo to get the job done.
- Steven Carpenter would add to the lead in the bottom of the sixth inning, as would Willett. Carpenter would hit an RBI single to score Farrar who doubled, while Willett pinch hit for Lacey and hit a sacrifice fly to push the Rams lead to 7-4.
- It would be Ching to add the exclamation point on the five-run sixth inning, as he would blast a three-run home run over the left field wall to give VCU a 10-4 lead.
- Ching would add the final run of the day for the Rams in the bottom of the eighth, as he singled into center field giving the Rams the 11-4 lead.
- Donko shut down the Wildcats over the final 3.1 innings, grabbing the Rams 10th Atlantic 10 win of the season.
VCU will return to action this Tuesday night, April 18 as the Rams will host the VMI Keydets at The Diamond. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.