Final Score: VCU 3, La Salle 0
Location: The Diamond (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 14-10 (3-0), La Salle 2-18 (0-3)
The Short Story: The VCU Rams tied their season-long winning streak of four games on Sunday afternoon, using three runs and solid pitching to take a series sweep of the La Salle Explorers by the final score of 3-0. The Rams now have opened up their Atlantic 10 schedule with a three wins, giving up only one run to La Salle in all three games of the series.
- Michael Dailey pitched a solid 4.2 innings, giving up four hits and no runs, giving up one walk and striking out three in the no decision.
- Sam Donko pitched 2.1 innings, giving up only three hits, striking out five.
- Mitchel Lacey led the offense, going 1-for-3 with two runs scored.
- Brett Willett added an RBI double, finishing 1-for-1 with a walk and run scored.
- Daane Berezo, Dylan Isquirdo, and Darian Carpenter each added a hit in the contest as well.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Dailey found some trouble in both the first and second innings, as La Salle was able to get a base runner to third base in both innings. However, the Rams were able to pitch around the jams and keep things scoreless.
- VCU got in the board in the bottom of the second inning, as Darian Carpenter was able to draw a 10 pitch walk to load the bases. Zac Ching would follow that with a walk of his own, collecting an RBI and putting the Rams up 1-0.
- Thanks to the bottom half of the lineup, the Rams generated a pair of runs in the bottom of the fourth inning. Willett smacked an RBI double to the right field, scoring Lacey. A run would also score on a double play groundout from Ching, pushing the score to 3-0.
- Benjamin Dum would replace Dailey in the top of the fifth inning with two out, and pitch a solid inning and a third. Along with Hayden Moore, the combo would keep La Salle off the board into the seventh inning.
- Donko would replace Moore with two out in the seventh inning, and shut down the Explorers through the 9th to earn his sixth save of the season.
VCU will return to action this Tuesday, March 28 when the Rams will play host to the University of Virginia in the "Duel at The Diamond". First pitch for the game will be at 7 p.m.