Final Score: VCU 7, La Salle 0
Location: The Diamond (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 13-10 (2-0), La Salle 2-17 (0-2)
The Short Story: The VCU Rams for the second straight day pumped out at least 15 hits, as the Black and Gold took their third straight win in a 7-0 defeat of the La Salle Explorers. Senior Brooks Vial pitched a masterful seven innings in the win.
- Vial tossed seven shutout innings, surrendering only five hits, and not giving up a run or walk. He also struck out 11 batters on the day, earning his second win of the season.
- Paul Witt led the offense with a three-hit afternoon, finishing 3-for-5 with two RBI and a run scored.
- Daane Berezo also put up a three-hit performance, going 3-for-5 with a double and three runs scored.
- Four other Rams stepped up with multi-hit performances, as Logan Farrar, Alex Gransback, Josh Simon, and Steven Carpenter each collected two hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- For the second straight day, the Rams got on the board first in the bottom of the first inning. After both Berezo and Gransback were able to reach base, Witt smacked a single into center field, scoring Berezo to put VCU up early, 1-0.
- VCU added a run in the bottom of the third inning, as a ground out from Darian Carpenter would score Witt, pushing the lead to 2-0.
- The Rams broke out for a pair in the bottom of the fourth inning, as Gransback and Witt each hit RBI singles to pump the VCU lead to 4-0.
- In the bottom of the sixth inning, it would be the Gransback/Witt combo again, as Gransback would smack his second RBI single of the day, while Witt would hit into a double play, but a run would score on the play.
- In the top of the seventh, La Salle threatened to get on the board, getting runners on second and third with two outs. However, Vial was able to pitch out of the jam, getting a strikeout to end the inning.
- The scoring would cap in the bottom of the seventh inning, as freshman Steven Carpenter smacked a single into left field, bringing home Zac Ching to bring the score to 7-0.
VCU will return to action tomorrow, March 26 when they play host to La Salle for Game 3 of this weekend three-game series. First pitch on Saturday is scheduled for 1 p.m.