Final Score: VCU 8, La Salle 1
Location: The Diamond (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 12-10 (1-0), La Salle 2-16 (0-1)
The Short Story: The VCU Rams opened up their Atlantic 10 schedule strong on Friday night, as the Black and Gold smacked around 16 hits while Sean Thompson tossed an impressive complete game effort in the Rams' 8-1 victory over the La Salle Explorers.
- Thompson finished with his first complete game of the season, going all nine innings, giving up seven hits, one run, zero walks, and 13 strikeouts.
- Alex Gransback collected another multi-hit game, going 3-for-4 with a run and RBI.
- Dylan Isquirdo, Zac Ching, Paul Witt and Steven Carpenter each finished with multi-hit efforts as well, each collecting two hits apiece. Witt added two RBI, while Isquirdo and Carpenter added two runs scored.
- Every batter (10 total) on the night for VCU each got at least one hit.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Witt opened the scoring in the bottom of the first inning, as he smacked an RBI double down the line to score Gransback from first after he reached on a walk.
- The Black and Gold would strike again in the bottom of the fourth, as J.P. Vail collected a two-out RBI single into left field to score Dylan Isquirdo putting VCU ahead 2-0.
- Steve Carpenter would create some havoc on the base paths in the bottom of the fifth, as he reached with a double to start the inning. He attempted a stolen base of third, which he grabbed. However, the throw to try and get him sailed up the third base line and Carpenter was able to score and push the Rams lead to 3-0.
- La Salle came back with a run in the top of the sixth, as Kevin McGowan singled home Yan Carlo Rivera, who had reached on a hit by pitch. That cut the VCU lead to two runs, 3-1.
- The Rams would grab five runs between the seventh and eighth innings, and not look back. All started by an RBI singles from Gransback and Witt in the seventh to score a pair, the Rams took a 5-1 lead after seven.
- In the eighth after getting one run on a passed ball, Darian Carpenter hit his fourth home run of the season on a two-run home run over the left field fence to put a cap on the scoring, 8-1.
- Thompson went out for the top of the ninth to close it out, notching his first complete game of the season.
VCU will return to action tomorrow, March 25 when they play host to La Salle for Game 2 of this weekend three-game series. First pitch on Saturday is scheduled for 2 p.m.