Final Score: UNC Wilmington 10, VCU 1
Location: Brooks Field (Wilmington, N.C.)
Records: VCU 10-10, UNCW 8-9
The Short Story: Despite knocking out eight hits, the VCU Rams failed to score until the ninth inning on a solo home run from Brody Cook. With a breakout day from the UNC Wilmington Seahawks offense, that resulted in a 10-1 loss for the Black & Gold.
- Logan Farrar smacked three hits on the afternoon, going 3-for-4 with three singles.
- Daane Berezo was the only other multi-hit effort, finishing 2-for-4 with two singles.
- Brody Cook smacked his first home run of the season, becoming the sixth different Ram with a big fly this year.
- Paul Witt and Haiden Lamb each notched a hit as well, with both of them keeping their current hitting streaks alive. Witt now has a team-high nine game hitting streak this season, while Lamb stays on his heels with an eight-game streak.
- Lamb has also reached base in a team-high 11 straight games.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Starting pitcher Brooks Vial started strong, putting up zeros over the first two innings. The Rams offense would threaten in the top of the first with a pair of base runners, but would not get anything after a line out.
- UNCW would get on the board in the bottom of the third inning, as Kenard McDowell and Casey Golden smacked back-to-back solo home runs. An RBI groundout added a third run in the inning to give the Seahawks a 3-0 lead.
- A Robbie Thornburn double in the bottom of the fourth for UNCW would add the fourth run to the scoreboard, moving their lead to 4-0.
- The bottom of the sixth inning saw the Seahawks scoring three more runs to push their lead to 7-0. A two-run shot from Clark Cota and a McDowell RBI single would give them the offense.
- Three more runs between the seventh and eighth innings put UNCW up 10-0, highlighted by a Nick Feight solo home run.
- Cook stopped the shutout in the top of the 9th inning, as he smacked his first home run of the season over the left field wall to get the Rams on the board.
VCU will return to action this Tuesday, March 21 when they return to The Diamond and will take on the Longwood Lancers. Game time for Tuesday is set for 6:30 p.m.