Final Score: UNC Wilmington 10, VCU 4
Location: Brooks Field (Wilmington, N.C.)
Records: VCU 10-9, UNCW 7-9
The Short Story: Within a run headed into the seventh inning, it was a barnburner between the VCU Rams and UNC Wilmington Seahawks for the second consecutive day. However, it would be UNCW that would use a five-run seventh inning, capped by a three-run home run from Casey Golden to give them a 10-4 win over the Black & Gold.
- Alex Gransback was the top hitter of the day, going 3-for-5 on the game with an RBI and run scored.
- Logan Farrar added a multi-hit effort, going 2-for-4 with a walk, RBI, and two runs scored.
- Paul Witt and Zac Ching each snagged a hit & RBI on the day. Witt currently holds an eight game hitting streak, matching his previous season high, the longest of any Ram this season.
- Haiden Lamb also added a hit for VCU, giving himself a seven-game hit streak and extended his reached base streak to 10 games.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Seahawks got things immediately on Michael Dailey in the bottom of the first, as Casey Golden would hop on the second pitch he saw for a base hit. The second batter, Brian Mims, would tag a two-run home run over the wall, setting up an early 2-0 lead.
- Golden would add an RBI single in the bottom of the second, pushing the lead to 3-0 in favor of UNCW.
- Clark Cota would add a solo home run in the bottom of the third for UNCW, as they grabbed a 4-0 lead.
- VCu would put a pair of runs on the board in the top of the fourth, as Farrar and Gransback both reached in the inning. Witt would then single to right, scoring Farrar to make it 4-1.
- Ching would chop a ground ball to third for the second out of the fourth. The play would score Gransback, bringing the Rams within two, 4-2.
- The Rams would tie things up in the top of the fifth, as the Farrar/Gransback combo would strike again. This time, a double from Farrar would score Daane Berezo to pull within one, 4-3.
- Gransback would proomtly add a single into center to score Farrar from second, knotting the game at 4-4.
- UNCW would spit off six unanswered runs, as they grabbed one in the bottom of the fifth to take a 5-4 lead. Then a five-run bottom of the seventh sealed the deal for the Seaahawks, giving them a 10-4 advantage.
VCU will return to action tomorrow, Sunday, March 19 as they will play Game 3 of a three-game series against UNC Wilmington. First pitch tomorrow is scheduled for 2 p.m.