Final Score: UNC Wilmington 5, VCU 4
Location: Brooks Field (Wilmington, N.C.)
Records: VCU 10-8, UNCW 6-9
The Short Story: A difference of 90 feet was the difference between the VCU Rams and UNC Wilmington Seahawks on Friday afternoon. With the bases loaded in the top of the ninth and down by a run, the Black & Gold couldn't cash in another runner, falling to UNCW by a final of 5-4.
- Alex Gransback has the most productive day for the Rams, putting in a 1-for-4 day with two RBI and a walk.
- Both Paul Witt and Haiden Lamb each collected a multi-hit game with two hits apiece. Lamb would also add a run scored to his total.
- Daane Berezo and Darian Carpenter also chipped in with a hit and RBI on the afternoon.
- Lamb now holds a six game hitting streak, and has reached base in nine straight games.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sean Thompson and Alex Royalty pitched their respective sides to two scoreless frames to start the game. Royalty would get a clean third as well, while UNCW would get to Thompson in the bottom of the third.
- Casey Golden would launch a solo home run to start off the bottom of the third, giving the Seahawks an early 1-0 lead.
- With two outs in the top of the fourth, Paul Witt broke through with VCU's first hit of the afternoon.
- The Black & Gold would get on the board in the top of the fifth inning. It all started with back-to-back singles by Josh Simon and Lamb. After an error on Lamb's single that helped them move up to second and third, Carpenter would hit a single up the middle to score Simon and tie the game at 1-1.
- The following batter after Carpenter would be Berezo, who would also single to center, scoring Lamb from second to give the Rams a 2-1 lead.
- VCU wasn't done just yet, as Gransback added his RBI single with two out, scoring Carpenter and pushing the Rams lead to 3-1.
- However, the Seahawks roared back with a four-run bottom of the seventh, highlighted by RBI singles from Brian Mims and Mason Berne. That would put UNCW in the driver's seat with a 5-3 lead.
- In the top of the ninth inning, the Rams would not go quietly. Pinch hitter J.P. Vail would draw a leadoff walk, followed by a hit by pitch to a batter later Carpenter. With one out, Berezo would also draw a walk to load the bases.
- After a Logan Farrar fly out, Gransback would draw a bases loaded walk, cutting the lead to 5-4 and putting the tying run 90 feet away at third base.
- Witt would swing at the first pitch, launching a fly ball to center for the final out of the ball game, giving UNCW the 5-4 win.
VCU will return to action tomorrow, Saturday, March 18 as they will play Game 2 of a three-game series against UNC Wilmington. First pitch tomorrow is scheduled for 2 p.m.