Final Score: VCU 10, Oakland 1
Location: The Diamond (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 10-6, Oakland 1-13
The Short Story: The offense for the VCU Rams came alive on Sunday afternoon, as they gathered 14 hits and 10 runs in their 10-1 victory over the Oakland Golden Grizzlies. The win gave VCU win number 10 on the season, and completed the series sweep over the weekend.
- Starting pitcher Brooks Vial pitched arguably his best game of the season, pitching six scoreless innings, giving up one walk and striking out five in earning his first win of the season.
- Freshman Paul Witt led the offensive charge with a three-hit afternoon, going 3-for-4 with an RBI, a walk, and two runs scored.
- Daane Berezo had a team-high two RBI finishing 2-for-5 with a run scored, while Darian Carpenter added a 2-for-4 day with a solo home run.
- Alex Gransback and Haiden Lamb also collected a pair of hits, while Gransback also added a run scored.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Black & Gold did not waste any time getting on the board, as they put up a three-spot in the opening frame after a 1-2-3 inning by Vial in the top half. As both Berezo and Farrar began with singles, Gransback came up third and smacked an RBI single.
- Witt added an RBI single to make it four straight hits to start the game. After a Lacey out, Isquirdo grounded out but scored a run as Gransback crossed the plate on the plate. That gave a VCU a 3-0 lead after one inning.
- Ching sent a sacrifice fly out to right field in the bottom of the third inning, extending the lead to 4-0.
- The Rams exploded for five runs in the bottom of the fourth, highlighted by RBI dsingles from Lacey and Berezo, pushing the score to 9-0.
- Carpenter would add one VCU's final run in the bottom of the sixth inning, as he smacked a solo home run to give the Black & Gold their double digit lead, 10-0.
- The combination of Vial, Tanner Winters, Luke Crabb held the Golden Grizzlies scoreless until the ninth, where they added one before the final out.
VCU will return to action this Tuesday, March 14 as they will host a two-game mid-week series with the Marist Red Foxes. Game time for Tuesday is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.