Final Score: Charleston Southern 11, VCU 9
Location: CSU Ballpark (Charleston, S.C.)
Records: VCU 2-3, CSU 3-2
The Short Story: It would be a grind for nine innings on Saturday night for the VCU Rams in Charleston. After taking a 3-0 lead after two and a half innings, the Charleston Southern Buccaneers would fire off for 11 runs, including fending off a late inning push by VCU, giving the Rams a 11-9 loss.
- Zac Ching paced the offense with three hits on the day, going 3-for-5 with two doubles, a home run, two RBI, a walk, and three runs scored.
- Daane Berezo finished with a two hit day, bringing his season batting average to a team-leading .421.
- Darian Carpenter and Dylan Isquirdo each laced a double, with Isquirdo adding three walks to his resume for the day.
- The Rams left 13 men on base during the contest, but were able to record five of their nine runs with two outs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Ching got the party started in the top of the second inning, as his solo home run to center field would give VCU and starter Sean Thompson an early 1-0 lead.
- Ching would strike again in the top of the third, after Darian Carpenter led off with a double, Ching would switch places with the senior and give VCU a 2-0 lead.
- After the Rams grabbed a 3-0 lead on a wild pitch before the third was over, the Bucs would get one on an error at first base, bringing the score to 3-1.
- Charleston Southern would grab five runs between the fourth and fifth innings, that included home runs from Nate Blanchard and Cole German. That would give CSU a 6-3 lead.
- The Black and Gold wouldn't get anything until the top of the seventh, as Mitchel Lacey kept up his hot bat with a line drive single up the middle with two outs to score Logan Farrar and J.P. Vail to bring the Rams within one, 6-5.
- CSU then used a five-run bottom of the seventh to take an 11-5 lead heading into the 8th inning. Their scoring was highlighted by a Nate Blanchard RBI double to score two runs.
- The Rams didn't go quietly, as both J.P. Vail and Haiden Lamb each drew bases loaded walks to bring VCU within four, 11-7.
- Freshman Paul Witt would follow up Lamb at-bat with a searing liner up the middle to score two runs, bringing VCU back within two, 11-9.
- However, the Rams couldn't get anything in the 9th , as VCU went in order as CSU's reliever Cody Smith grabbed the save for the Bucs.
VCU will return to action tomorrow, Sunday, Feb. 26, as they are back to Charleston Southern for Game 3 a three-game series. Game time for Game 3 on Friday is scheduled for 2 p.m.