Final Score: #5 Florida State 12, VCU 3
Location: Mike Martin Field at Dick Howser Stadium (Tallahassee, Fla.)
Records: VCU 1-1, #5 FSU 1-1
The Short Story: The VCU Rams couldn't make lighting strike twice in Tallahassee on Saturday afternoon, as the Florida State Seminoles plated 12 runs in a 12-3 final score. Reigning A-10 Rookie of the Year Michael Dailey took the loss on the hill for the Black & Gold.
- The Rams pitching staff surrendered nine walks in the contest, while giving up 12 hits in the process as well.
- Mitchel Lacey had the big bop of the day, with a double off the top of the wall in left field for the only extra base hit on the day for VCU. He also scored a run in the contest.
- Brett Willett collected his second hit in as many games, while Josh Simon collected his first collegiate hit in his first start behind the plate.
- The Rams used five pitchers on the day, three of which made their first ever apperance in a Rams uniform (Ben Nelson, Sam Ryan, Hayden Moore).
- Dailey finished the day after 3.1 innings pitched, giving up five hits, six earned runs, and five walks. He also collected three strikeouts.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both sides went punch for punch on the mound in the opening two frames, as the only action would be two walks for the Rams to Logan Farrar and Daane Berezo.
- Florida State would bust open the scoring in the bottom of the third, as a pair of runs would score on an RBI single to left field by Jackson Lueck.
- The Seminoles would put a five-spot up and chase Rams starter Michael Dailey, after a two-run home run by Rhett Aplin and two-run double by Taylor Walls were the highlights of the inning.
- Trailing 7-0, VCU fought back with two runs in the top of the sixth, as both Brett Willett and Josh Simon collected back-to-back RBI singles.
- Five more would plate between the sixth and seventh for the 'Noles, as they would take a 12-2 lead as play entered the eighth inning.
- VCU would send across a single run in the 9th, and freshman Steven Carpenter reached on a pinch-hit single, and would come around to score on a one-out Logan Farrar sacrifice fly.
VCU will return to action tomorrow, Feb. 19 when they return to Florida State for the third and final game of the series. First pitch is scheduled for 12:30 p.m.