Final Score: VCU 3, #5 Florida State 0
Location: Mike Martin Field at Dick Howser Stadium (Tallahassee, Fla.)
Records: VCU 1-0, #5 FSU 0-1
The Short Story: The VCU Rams opened their season with a bang on Friday afternoon, as the combination of Sean Thompson, Matt Jamer, and Sam Donko combined to allow only one hit en route to a shutout win over #5 Florida State on the road by a final score of 3-0. The Black & Gold offense also smacked around 12 total hits in the contest, led by freshman Paul Witt.
- Thompson finished his day with five scoreless innings, giving up only one hit, three walks, and six strikeouts.
- Jamer and Donko would combine for four scorless and hitless innings in relief, with Donko holding down the 9th inning for his first save of the season. Jamer would record two strikeouts in his three innings of work.
- Witt began his collegiate debut by finishing 3-for-3 with two runs scored, a double and an RBI.
- Darian Carpenter collected two RBI on the afternoon, while both Daane Berezo and Haiden Lamb each laced two hits apiece.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Berezo got the year started with a base hit on the first pitch he saw. Lamb added one in the top of the second as well as the Rams got the ball rolling early on offense.
- Thompson collected three strikeouts through the first three innings, as both sides held scoreless, 0-0. His only hit he would allow would be the only one the Rams would allow, a single to Jackson Lueck.
- VCU would strike in the top of the fifth, as Lamb reached with his second bunt single of the game with one out. Witt would pick the right moment to rip his first collegiate hit, a hit & run double to the right center gap, scoring Lamb to give the Rams a 1-0 lead.
- Carpenter would get in the action as well, sending a sacrifice fly out to right field to score Witt. That would give the Black and Gold a 2-0 lead.
- Thompson would collect two more scoreless innings, giving way to Jamer after five innings.
- The Rams offense kept up the pressure, and with back-to-back singles by Brett Willett and Mitchel Lacey in the top of the 6th, knocking out FSU starter Drew Carlton.
- The Black and Gold extended their lead to 3-0 in the top of the seventh, as Carpenter slashed a single up the middle, scoring Witt for the second time in the ball game.
- Jamer would hold Florida State at third base in the bottom of the seventh and eighth, setting up Donko to grab his first save of the season in the 9th.
VCU will return to action tomorrow, Feb. 18 when they return to Florida State for game two of the series. First pitch is scheduled for 2 p.m.