Final Score: Team Gold 4, Team Black 2 (Game 1)
Team Black 5, Team Gold 5 (Game 2)
Location: The Diamond (Richmond, Va.)
Records: Team Gold 1-0-1, Team Black 0-1-1
The Short Story: The VCU Baseball team played the first two games of its annual five-game Black & Gold World Series this past Saturday and Sunday. The games are an opportunity to showcase the squad in a series of seven inning contests. The first game saw a win by Team Gold after a big three-run fourth inning home run by Brody Cook allowed them to take the lead and never look back. Team Black had a four-run lead in game two going into the bottom of seventh, but failed to close out the game after Team Gold roared back to tie the game at five.
- Team Gold’s Luke Crabb earned the win in game one, striking out three and giving up two earned in four innings of work.
- Darian Carpenter started off the rally for Team Gold in the fourth inning of game one, and finished the day batting 1-for-2 with one RBI and a run scored. He also put up a multi-hit effort in game two, going 2-for-4 with an RBI.
- Alex Gransback supplied Team Gold with a 2-for-4 effort with an RBI also in game two, while Logan Farrar powered Team Black with a two RBI day.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Connor Gillispie started well for Team Black, striking out two in the first inning.
- Team Black jumped out to an early lead in the bottom of the first after a single to right field by Zac Ching drove in Paul Witt to give Team Black a 1-0 lead.
- After a quiet couple of innings, Carpenter started off the fourth inning rally for Team Gold with a single to right field.
- Gransback was hit by a pitch and after Dylan Isquirdo flew out to center field. Brody Cook then hit the series’ first home run to left field, driving in three and giving Team Gold the 3-1 lead.
- Team Black would attempt to even things up in the bottom half of the fourth. After a Farrar walk and a Ching single, Team Black was in a position to get back in the game.
- Farrar would score on a throw down to second on a steal by Ching to make the score 3-2 in favor of Team Gold.
- After an insurance run brought in on a sacrifice fly to center by Darian Carpenter to score Steve Carpenter in the top of the fifth, Team Gold would go on to win game one by a score of 4-2. Freshman Hayden Moore grabbed the save in one inning of work in the seventh.
- Team Gold carried its momentum from game one and struck first to go up 1-0 in the bottom of inning number one off an RBI single to right by Gransback that scored Darian Carpenter.
- Team Black responded with two runs in the top of the second to take the lead 2-1. With the bases loaded, Brett Willett walked to score one. Josh Simon then scored on a groundout to short by Austin Gregory.
- The third and fourth innings were quiet with Brooks Vial striking out three batters over the two-inning span.
- Team Black found its third run in the fifth after Gregory doubled to left field and was eventually driven in on a sacrifice fly by Farrar. Team Black took a 3-1 lead.
- The excitement started in the seventh with Team Black taking two runs in its half of the inning. With the bases loaded, Logan Farrar drove in one off a sacrifice fly to right field.
- Paul Witt followed up with another sacrifice fly to put extend Team Black’s lead to 5-1.
- Staring at unlikely odds, Team Gold would lead off the final half inning with Brody Cook reaching on an error by the third baseman. Cook would score off a single by Nick Rabat, who would eventually score on a bases loaded ground out by Steve Carpenter to cut the lead to 5-3.
- Christian Maggi scored after Haiden Lamb reached on a throwing error, drawing Team Gold closer 5-4. Team Gold would score its fifth and final run off a Darian Carpenter single up the middle to score Mitchel Lacey and tie the game 5-5.
The Black & Gold World Series game three is slated for Tuesday, Oct. 25 at 3:30 p.m. with game four following on Wednesday, Oct. 26 at 7:30 p.m. All games are scheduled to be played at The Diamond.