FORDHAM SWEEPS THURSDAY'S DOUBLEHEADER WITH VCU
GAME 1 FINAL: Fordham 6 (22-27, 12-13), VCU 3 (33-17, 14-9) (Brooklyn, N.Y.) – Houliohan Park
VCU STARTERS: Acker (RF), Bunn (LF), Cujas (3B), Machin (SS), Ayers (C), Cullen (CF), Farrar (DH), Marino (1B), Crimi (2B); Howie (LHP)
FORDHAM STARTERS: Cianci (CF), Runco (2B), Swatek (RF), Galiano (C), Donadio (LF), McCunney (SS), Kozuch (1B), Gajdos (DH), Edmiston (3B); Serrapica (RHP)
THE BASICS: Fordham used two early rallies to come from behind and knock off VCU 6-3 in game one of the doubleheader. Senior Trevor Marino led the way offensively going 2-for-4 with a run scored
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME 1
- VCU picked up its first hit of the afternoon in the third, when senior Trevor Marino drilled a single through the left side advancing freshman Logan Farrar from first to third. The play continued as the Fordham left fielder misplayed the roller allowing Farrar to touch home plate.
- With Marino on third after the error, sophomore Cody Acker capitalized driving a single to center field plating Marino and extending the Rams lead to 2-0.
- Fordham answered with a run of their own in the bottom of the fourth with a Tim Swatek RBI double to left field.
- The hosts loaded the bases later in the fourth and a Matthew Kozuch sacrifice fly brought Swatek home evening the score 2-2.
- Sophomore James Bunn roped a triple down the left field line with one out in the fifth to put VCU in business. The next batter, senior Joey Cujas groundout brought Bunn home and returning the lead to VCU.
- Fordham put a man on every base again the fifth, scoring a run on a VCU wild pitch.
- The hosts put two more runs on the board getting RBI from Jordan Gajdos and Matthew Cianci.
- Back-to-back hits to lead off the seventh pushed Fordham's lead out to 6-3 after a Charles Galiano RBI single.
- Two scoreless innings for both teams in the eighth and the ninth allowed Fordham to take game one 6-3.
GAME 2 FINAL: Fordham 12 (23-27, 13-13), VCU 6 (33-18, 14-10) (Brooklyn, N.Y.) – Houliohan Park
VCU STARTERS: Acker (RF), Bunn (LF), Cujas (3B), Machin (SS), Cullen (CF), Davis (2B), Farrar (DH), Marino (1B), Octavi (C); Dwyer (LHP)
FORDHAM STARTERS: Cianci (CF), Runco (2B), Swatek (RF), Galiano (C), Donadio (LF), McCunney (SS), Kozuch (1B), Gajdos (DH), Edmiston (3B); Kennedy (RHP)
THE BASICS: Fordham's bats stayed hot in game two scattering19, while racking up 12 runs in a 12-6 win over VCU. Brett Kennedy went 7.0 innings, allowing two earned runs on nine hits to pick up his sixth win of the season for the hosts.
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME 2
- Fordham scored in the first when a VCU wild pitch brought Matthew Cianci home.
- In the third the Black and Gold loaded the bases in the third and capitalizing on Fordam's pitching miscues to take a 2-1 lead. A senior Bill Cullen two-RBI single up the middle broke the frame open and gave the Rams a 4-1 lead.
- The hosts struck again the in the third on a Charles Galiano RBI single back to the pitcher, cutting the score to 4-2.
- VCU added to its lead when freshman Logan Farrar rocketed a solo shot over the right field wall in the fourth inning.
- Fordham's Tim Swatek countered with an RBI single through the right side cutting the lead to two, 5-3, in the bottom half. The next hitter, Charles Galiano rocketed a grand slam over the left field wall.
- The lead was extended in the fifth when second baseman Joey Runco lined a single down the right side to bring home
- With Acker on at third in the seventh junior Vimael Machin sent an RBI single to right, bringing the Rams within two, 8-6.
- Fordham pushed the lead back to three, 9-6, in the bottom of the eighth when Galiano sent an RBI single into right. The hosts added two more in the frame when Matt Kozuch roped a single into the outfield with the bases loaded. They added another run in the bottom half when Matt Cianci drove in another run on a bases loaded walk.
- A 1-2-3 top of the ninth ended the contest and shut the door on a Fordham series win.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- In game one freshman Logan Farrar went 3-for-3 in the batters box.
- Farrar's solo home run in the fourth marked the first home run in the Woodbridge native's career.
- With the home run in the fourth inning of game two, Farrar recorded hits in his first five at-bats of the day.
- VCU scored the first two runs in game two on a bases loaded hit by pitch and walk. Both sophomore James Bunn and junior Vimael Machin producing RBI.
- The Rams four-game losing streak is the longest of the season.
- The Rams continue the series and closeout the regular season Saturday, with first pitch set for 7 p.m.