FINAL: No. 1 Virginia 12 (42-9, 21-6), VCU 3 (33-16, 14-8) (Charlottesville, Va.) – Davenport Field
VCU STARTERS: Bunn (LF), Cujas (3B), Machin (SS), Ayers (DH), Cullen (CF), Prentiss (RF), Marino (1B), Davis (2B), Octavi (C); Kanuik (LHP)
VIRGINIA STARTERS: Papi (1B), Pinero (SS), McCarthy (RF), Towns (3B), Fisher (LF), Cogswell (2B), Irving (C), La Prise (DH), Downes (CF); Bettinger (RHP)
THE BASICS: Virginia's bats recorded 14 hits to knock off VCU at Davenport Field 12-3 Tuesday night
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Virginia got on the board early, with a four-run first inning. The Cavaliers saw RBI produced by three different players, capped by a two-RBI single off of John La Prise's bat.
- The hosts scored again in the second on a Joe McCarthy RBI single into right-center field.
- VCU loaded the bases in the third but were unable to cash in, as a fly ball to left ended the frame.
- With one out in the fourth senior Bill Cullen roped a double into left-center field, senior Trevor Marino drove the center fielder home with a single to left field.
- UVA lit the scoreboard in the sixth when Kenny Towns roped a double into the left-center field gap, pushing the hosts' lead out to 6-1.
- A five-run seventh inning for the nation's No. 1 team put the game out of reach at 11-1.
- Virginia tacked on its final run in the eighth on a Daniel Pinero RBI groundout to short.
- The Rams put up two runs in the top of the ninth when freshman Alex Gransback sent a two-RBI single into center field.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Both sophomore Walker Haymaker and freshman Alex Gransback recorded their first hits of the season in the ninth inning.
- Gransback becomes the second freshman of the season to produce his first hit and RBI in a pinch-hit situation.
- Senior Seth Greene made his second appearance out of the bullpen this season, striking out the only Cavalier he faced.
- Sophomore James Bunn produced both his hits in his first two at-bats.
- The Rams will travel to Brooklyn for their final conference series beginning on Thursday, first pitch in that series is set for 12 p.m.