7 Chris Ayers
|CHRIS AYERS - CAREER STATISTICS|
|Year||GP-GS||Avg. ||AB ||R ||H ||2B ||3B ||HR ||RBI ||TB ||SLG. % ||BB ||HBP ||SO ||SB-ATT ||FLD. %|
|108||17||30||5||1||0||16||37||.343||7 ||1 ||16 ||4-5||1.000|
|212||22 ||64 ||12 ||1 ||2 ||37 ||84 ||.396||10 ||2 ||32 ||1-1 ||.000|
- Will add depth behind the plate for the Rams
- Also brings a valuable bat into VCU lineup
WHILE WITH THE RAMS
- Named second team All-Atlantic 10 catcher following the regular season.
- Finished the year with the best batting average on the team (.323).
- Struck out a team low nine times, ranking as the 10th toughest hitter to strike out in Division I baseball.
- Racked up 18 multiple hit games for VCU, the third most on the club.
- Went 4-for-5, with five RBIs in the Rams come from behind win over Furman on Feb. 21. Ayers' day also included his only home run of the season.
- Ayers went 4-for-4 against Virginia Tech with two doubles.
- The catcher recorded four hits three times on the year (Furman, Feb. 21, Virginia Tech, April 8 and Richmond April 11), including back-to-back games against Virginia Tech and Richmond.
- Started 36 games for the Rams in 2013, after missing a month with a broken hand.
- Finished the season 35-for-125 with 18 RBIs and 14 runs scored.
- Collected four three-hit games, while have multiple hits in seven games.
- Drove in a season-high 3 runs in VCU's March 1 win over UNC Asheville.
- Roped two doubles against George Washington on May 10.
- Did not commit an error in first full season catching for VCU.
- Appeared in 53 games with 51 starts
- Batted .302 with 12 doubles, one triple, two home runs and 37 RBI
- Hit his first career home run against VMI (5/18)
- Roped a season-high four hits against UNCW (3/23)
- Appeared in 32 games with 25 starts
- Batted .278 with five doubles and 16 RBI
- Finished the season with a 1.000 fielding percentage on 14 putouts and four assists
- Graduated from nearby Manchester High School
- Was a three sport athlete for the Lancers, playing football, basketball, and baseball
- Helped lead Manchester to back-to-back regular season Dominion District championships his junior and senior seasons
- After his junior campaign, was named First Team All-District, All-Region, All-State, and All-Metro
- Was named First Team All-District as well as Second Team All-Region, All-State, and All-Metro, following his senior season
- Played summer ball for American Legion Post 137 and AAU for the Canes
- Was high school teammates of Rams freshmen Ryan Morrison and Joey Cujas
- Son of Doug and Angela Ayers
- Born on Jan. 25, 1991
- Majoring in Criminal Justice at VCU
- Has a brother Augie, who plays baseball at Manchester, and sister Kara