FINAL: VCU 5, Richmond 0 (Richmond, Va. - The Diamond at the HDL Inc. Athletic Village)
VCU STARTERS: Bunn (LF), Weymouth (2B), Cullen (CF), Buran (RF), Malan (3B), Yount (DH), Mikionis (1B), Cimi (SS), Haymaker (C), Greene (P)
RICHMOND STARTERS: Zink (CF), Stanley (RF), Mayers (P), Forrer (2B), Beckwith (3B), Mohiet (C), Poulos (LF), Kraeger (1B), Small (SS)
THE BASICS: Junior Seth Greene threw 7.2 scoreless innings, as VCU completed a three-game sweep of cross-town rival Richmond, 5-0, on Saturday at The Diamond. The game was cut short in the eighth inning because of rain.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU (28-26, 12-12 Atlantic 10) scored the game's first three runs in the bottom of the third inning. Senior Jordan Weymouth led off the inning with a walk, advancing to third on a single from junior Bill Cullen. Senior Taylor Buran followed with a single, scoring Weymouth. The next batter, senior Robert Malan cleared the bases with a single up the middle, giving VCU a 3-0 lead.
- The Rams added two more runs in the bottom of the sixth inning. Junior Tom Crimi walked starting the inning, moving to second on a sacrifice bunt by freshman Walker Haymaker, who reached on a throwing error. A sacrifice bunt by freshman James Bunn moved the runners to second and third with one out. Weymouth followed with a bases clearing double, lifting VCU's lead to 5-0.
- Richmond's (30-22, 13-11) best chance came in the bottom of the sixth inning. Matt Zink led off the frame with a single, moving to second on a sacrifice bunt by Tanner Stanley. However, Greene recovered to get the final two outs of the inning.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The game was called because of rain in the eighth inning.
- Greene threw 7.2 scoreless innings scattering five hits. He earned his fifth win of the season for the Rams.
- Richmond starting pitcher Jacob Mayers threw five innings allowing three runs on five hits. He was charged with his second loss of the season.
- Weymouth finished the game 2-for-3 for the Rams with two RBIs.
- Malan added two RBIs for the Rams, while brought home one run.
- VCU honored its six seniors, Taylor Buran, Ryan Farrar, Rob Malan, Brent Mikionis, Jordan Weymouth and Cody Yount, before the game.
"It was great to get a sweep against our cross-town rival and end the season on a high note. It was great to have a lot of seniors contribute in the win with Jordan Weymouth, Rob Malan and Taylor Buran all having big hits. Seth Greene was outstanding not allowing a run or walk. It was a great way to finish the season, but not where we wanted to be at the end of the season. We have to start looking forward to the future and getting this program in a position to win the Atlantic 10 regular season and championship."
- VCU Head Coach Shawn Stiffler