La Salle Outlasts VCU, 5-4, in Game Two
FINAL: La Salle 5, VCU 4 (Philadelphia, Pa. - DeVincent Field)
VCU STARTERS: Bunn (LF), Machin (SS), Cujas (3B), Ayers (C), Buran (RF), Cullen (CF), Mikionis (1B), Weymouth (2B), Prentiss (DH), Farrar (P)
LA SALLE STARTERS: Klem (3B), Baron (SS), Conroy (LF), Korenblatt (RF), Williams (1B), Ravet (DH), Welling (C), Smith, Jr. (CF), McGowan (2B), O'Neill (P)
THE BASICS: La Salle broke a 3-3 tie with runs in the fifth and sixth inning and hung on to beat VCU, 5-4, in game two of the three game series at DeVincent Field in Philadelphia, Pa on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- La Salle (20-20, 13-4 Atlantic 10) scored three times in the first inning. Dan Klem led off the inning with a walk, moving to third on a double by Kevin Baron. The next batter, Kevin Conroy singled into right field, scoring Klem. Justin Korenblatt followed with a single up the middle, giving the Explorers a 2-0 advantage. Mark Williams grounded into a 6-4-3 double play, allowing Korenblatt to reach third. The next batter, Joey Ravert doubled down the left field line, putting the Explorers up 3-0.
- VCU (20-21, 5-9) responded with two runs in the top of the third inning. Junior Landon Prentiss led off the inning with a single, advancing to third on a single from sophomore Vimael Machin. With the bases loaded, junior Chris Ayers shot a ball up the middle, scoring Prentiss and Machin, cutting the Explorer lead to 3-2.
- Senior Jordan Weymouth belted a solo homerun over the left field wall, tying the score 3-3 in the top of fourth inning.
- La Salle retook the lead in the bottom of the fifth inning. Klem led off the inning with a single. With two outs Korenblatt roped a double off of the left field wall, scoring Klem, giving the Explorers a 4-3 lead.
- The Explorers added another run in the bottom of the sixth inning. Ryan Welling was hit by a pitch to start the inning, moving to second on a sacrifice bunt from George Smith, Jr. With two outs, Klem roped a single to left field, plating Welling, making the score 5-3 in favor of La Salle.
- VCU got a run back in the top of the seventh inning. Machin led off the inning with a triple into right field. The next batter, junior Joey Cujas singled right back up the middle, scoring Machin, cutting La Salle's lead to 5-4.
- La Salle's closer Pat Christensen threw the 2.1 innings to close out the game for La Salle.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Ayers finished the game 3-for-3 with two RBIs for the Rams.
- Senior starting pitcher Ryan Farrar pitched 5.1 innings allowing five runs on eight hits. He was charged with his fifth loss of the season.
- Sophomore Matt Lees tossed the final 2.2 innings for VCU, scattering three hits and striking out three.
- La Salle's starter Shawn O'Neill threw 5.1 innings allowing three runs on eight hits. He earned his fourth victory of the season.
- Christensen earned his 10th save of the season for La Salle.
VCU and La Salle conclude their three game series tomorrow, Sunday, April 27. First pitch is set for Noon.