VCU Drops Series Opener, 3-1, to La Salle
FINAL: La Salle 3, VCU 1 (Philadelphia, Pa. – DeVincent Field)
VCU STARTERS: Cullen (CF), Bunn (LF), Cujas (3B), Ayers (C), Machin (SS), Buran (RF), Prentiss (DH), Weymouth (2B), Marino (1B), Dwyer (P)
LA SALLE STARTERS: Klem (3B), Baron (SS), Conroy (LF), Korenbalt (RF), Williams (1B), Ravert (DH), Welling (C), Smith, Jr. (CF), McGowan (2B), Donohue (P)
THE BASICS: La Salle scored two early runs and held off VCU, 3-1, in the first of a three-game series at DeVincent Field in Philadelphia, Pa. on Friday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- La Salle (19-20, 12-4 Atlantic 10) scored the game's first run in the bottom of the first inning. Dan Klem led off the inning with a double, advancing to second on a groundout by Kevin Baron. The next batter, Kevin Conroy flew out to center field, scoring Klem, on a sacrifice fly and giving the Explorers a 1-0 lead.
- The Explorers added another run in the bottom of the second inning. Mark Williams led off the inning with a single, advancing to third on a sacrifice bunt and groundout. With two-outs, George Smith, Jr. singled to center field, giving La Salle a 2-0 advantage.
- VCU (20-20, 5-8) scored its run in the top of the third inning. Freshman James Bunn and junior Joey Cujas each reached on walks, starting the inning. After a double play, sophomore Vimael Machin reached on an error, scoring Bunn, cutting La Salle's lead to 2-1.
- La Salle responded with a run in the bottom of the sixth inning. With one-out, Kevin Conroy singled up the middle, advancing to second on a wild pitch. After an out, Mark Williams roped a double into left field, scoring Conroy, giving the Explorers a 3-1 advantage.
- The Explorers' closers Pat Christensen threw the final two innings, escaping a bases loaded jam in the top of the eighth inning to secure the 3-1 win for La Salle.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- Sophomore starting pitcher Heath Dwyer threw his third complete game of the season allowing three runs on seven hits. He was charged with his fifth loss of the season.
- Senior Jordan Weymouth finished the day 2-for-3 with a double.
- La Salle's starting pitcher Ryan Donohue threw five innings allowing an unearned run on seven hits. He picked up his third victory over the season.
- Christensen earned his ninth save of the season for La Salle.
The Rams and Explorers continue their three game series tomorrow, April 27 at 1 p.m. The series concludes on Sunday, April 28 at Noon.