FINAL: VCU 10, Dayton 2- (Dayton, Ohio – Woerner Field)
VCU STARTERS: Cullen (CF), Bunn (LF), Cujas (3B), Ayers (DH), Machin (SS), Buran (RF), Mikionis (1B), Weymouth (2B), Octavi (C), Dwyer (P)
DAYTON STARTERS: Hundley (CF), Broughton (2B), Sounderman (3B), Podlas (RF), Huesman (DH), Berry (1B), Robinett (C), Skochdopole (LF), Weybright (SS), Buettgen (P)
THE BASICS: Sophomore Heath Dwyer tossed a complete game and the Rams exploded for six-runs in the top of the seventh inning to topple Dayton, 10-2, in the first game of three game series on Friday afternoon in Dayton, Ohio.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Dayton (7-26-1, 2-11 Atlantic 10) scored the game's first run in the bottom of the second inning. With one out, Aaron Huesman reached on a walk, advancing to second on a stolen base. After a strikeout, Kyle Robinett blooped a single to shallow center field, scoring Huesman, and giving the Flyers a 1-0 lead.
- The Flyers added another run in the home half of the third inning. With two outs, Jared Broughton doubled off of the left wall. The next batter, Robby Sounderman singled to center field, scoring Broughton, and giving Dayton a 2-0 advantage.
- VCU (18-18, 4-6) scored its first run in the top of the fifth inning. Freshman James Bunn reached on a fielder's choice with one out. The next batter, junior Joey Cujas roped a double down the left field line, scoring Bunn, cutting the Flyers' lead to 2-1.
- The Rams exploded for six-runs in the top of the seventh inning. Junior Nick Octavi walked to leadoff the inning, advancing to second when junior Bill Cullen reached on an error. After a sacrifice bunt by Bunn, the Flyers elected to walk Cujas, loading the bases. The next batter junior Chris Ayers earned a four-pitch walk, tying the score 2-2. Sophomore Vimael Machin followed with a grand slam over the right field wall, giving VCU a 6-2 lead. Senior Taylor Buran, the next batter, doubled restarting the Rams rally with one-out. The next batter, senior Brent Mikionis, singled scoring Buran giving the Rams a 7-2 lead.
- VCU added three more insurance runs in the top of the eighth inning. Octavi, Cullen and Bunn all reached on free passes, loading the bases to start the inning. The next batter, Cujas roped a single into center field, scoring both Octavi and Cullen. Ayers followed with a groundout, plating Bunn, giving the Black and Gold a 10-2 advantage.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Dwyer threw a complete game allowing two runs on seven hits, while striking out a career-high 11 batters. It was Dwyer's second complete game of the season as well as his fifth win of the campaign.
- Cujas finished the game 3-for-4 with three RBIs. In his last two games the Midlothian, Va. native is 8-for-10.
- Machin hit his second grand slam of the season in the seventh inning. It was his team-leading fourth home run.
- Ayers collected two RBIs for the Rams.
- Cullen finished the game 2-for-4, scoring two runs for VCU.
"I thought we did a good a job. Give credit to their starter, who kept us off balance the first two times through the lineup, but we were able to get to him the third time through the lineup. The middle of our lineup is beginning to swing the bats well and if we continue to get good pitching a lot of good things will happen."
-Head Coach Shawn Stiffler on the win
"It was a great effort from Heath Dwyer. He was everything you want your Friday night guy to be today. He went out and threw strikes right out of the gate and commanded both sides of the plate. We needed him to go nine innings today because the bullpen was a little bit banged up."
-Coach Stiffler on Heath Dwyer's complete game
VCU and Dayton continue their series tomorrow, Saturday April 20 at 1 p.m. The series finale is set for Sunday April 21 at noon.