Maryland Hangs On for 4-3 Victory Over VCU on Tuesday Night
FINAL: Maryland 4, VCU 3 (Richmond, Va. – The Diamond at the HDL Inc. Athletic Village)
VCU STARTERS: Cullen (CF), Bunn (LF), Cujas (3B), Mikionis (1B), Machin (SS), Buran (RF), Weymouth (2B), Malan (DH) Octavi (C), Greene (P)
MARYLAND STARTERS: White (CF), Hagel (RF), Wade (1B), Martir (3B), Papio (RF), Olenski (DH), Cleary (C), Cuas (2B), Schmit (SS), Robinson (P)
THE BASICS: Maryland escaped a bases loaded jam in the bottom the ninth inning, hanging on for a 4-3 victory over VCU on Tuesday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU (16-18) scored the game's first run in the bottom of the second inning. Sophomore Vimael Machin and senior Taylor Buran started the led off the inning with back-to-back singles. After a sacrifice bunt by senior Jordan Weymouth, junior Rob Malan grounded out, but the throw went home and Machin slid in safely, giving VCU a 1-0 lead. The next two batters juniors Nick Octavi and Bill Cullen singled giving the Rams a 3-0 advantage.
- Maryland (20-17) responded with a run in the top of the fourth inning. Charlie White led off the frame with a single into center field. A single from LaMonte Wade put runners on the corners with one out. The next batter, Kevin Martir sent a sacrifice fly to right field, plating the Terrapins' first run.
- The Terps scored three runs in the top of the eighth inning to take the lead. Greg Olenski walked and Jake Cleary followed with a single starting the Maryland rally, reaching to start the inning. A sacrifice bunt from Jose Cuas moved the runners to second and the third. The following batter Alex Schmit roped a double down the left field scoring both runners tying the score 3-3. The Terps scored the go-ahead run when Wade reached on an error.
- VCU loaded the bases in the ninth inning with two outs. Junior Joey Cujas doubled and back-to-back walks from junior Trevor Marino and Machin loaded the bases. However, Terrapins' closer Kevin Mooney recorded the game's final out, securing the 4-3 victory for Maryland.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Junior starting pitcher Seth Greene went 7.1 innings allowing three runs on four hits. He didn't factor in the decision.
- Sophomore Matt Lees was charged with his fifth loss of the season, he did not allow an earned run.
- Weymouth finished 2-for-4 with a double for the Black and Gold.
- VCU out hit Maryland 8-6.
- The Rams left 12 runners on base, while the Terrapins only left three men on base.
"We just have to continue to work. The effort is outstanding, but obviously nothing is going our way right now. It is a game of inches, and we need to continue working on those inches. Tonight we left too many men on base, and we had opportunities to blow the game open in the early innings and we didn't capitalize. I told the team, it's one of those games that's a loss, but it will not factor in how we play this weekend or how we are going to play tomorrow and has nothing to do with kind of team we are. The team deserves better and we are going to get there."
-Coach Shawn Stiffler on the game
"Seth Greene was fabulous in the start for us tonight. He came out in a spot start and did great things for us."
- Coach Stiffler on Seth Greene's start
VCU concludes its five-game home stand tomorrow when VMI visits to The Diamond, part of the HDL Inc. Athletic Village. First pitch is set for 6 p.m.