FINAL: Temple 4, VCU 3 (Richmond, Va. – The Diamond at the HDL Athletic Village)
VCU STARTERS: Cullen (CF), Bunn (LF), Cujas (3B), Mikionis (1B), Machin (SS), Buran (RF), Weymouth (2B), Malan (DH), Octavi (C), Kanuik (P)
TEMPLE STARTERS: Quija (2B), Lastrino (SS), Knabe (3B), Peterson (1B), Elko (DH), Nist (C), D'Agostino (LF), Hall (CF), Kerrigan (RF), Moller (P)
THE BASICS: Temple scored two runs in the top of the eighth inning, taking the rubber game of the series 4-3 on Sunday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Temple (14-17, 5-7 Atlantic 10) scored a the game's first run in the top of the first inning. Jordan Quija walked, advancing to second on a single by Nick Listrino. After a sacrifice bunt from Henry Knabe, Derek Peterson sent a sacrifice fly to right field, scoring Quija and giving the Owls a 1-0 lead.
- VCU (16-17, 3-6) answered with a run in the bottom of the second inning. Senior Brent Mikionis and sophomore Vimael Machin reached on back-to-back singles, moving into scoring position on a sacrifice bunt by senior Taylor Buran. With the bases loaded, junior Nick Octavi was hit by a pitch, scoring Mikionis, tying the game 1-1.
- The Rams took the lead in the bottom of the fourth inning. Buran started the rally, reaching on an error, advancing to third on a single from senior Jordan Weymouth. The next batter, redshirt junior Robert Malan, grounded out to short, scoring Buran and giving the Rams a 2-1 advantage.
- Temple responded with a run in the top of the fifth inning. Jimmy Kerrigan singled with one-out, advancing to second when Lustrino was hit by a pitch. With two-outs Knabe roped a single into right field, scoring Kerrigan and tying the game 2-2.
- VCU regained the lead in the bottom of the sixth inning. Malan led off the inning with a single, moving to third on a sacrifice bunt and groundout. Freshman James Bunn singled up the middle scoring Malan giving VCU a 3-2 lead.
- The Owls came up with two-runs in the top of the eighth inning. Peterson led off the inning by getting hit by a pitch advancing to second on a sacrifice bunt by Matt Elko, who reached on a throwing error. The next batter, Andrew Nist, was hit by a pitch, loading the bases. The next batter, Frank D'Agostino, battled for a walk, scoring Peterson. Kerrigan singled scoring Elko giving Temple the 4-3 lead.
INISIDE THE BOXSCORE
- Junior starting pitcher Logan Kanuik threw 6.2 innings in his first career start for the Rams, allowing two runs, four hits, and striking out five. The Scranton, Pa. native did not factor in the decision.
- Bunn finished 3-for-5 with a double and an RBI. It was his 12th multi-hit game for the Rams.
- Sophomore Matt Lees threw the finial 1.2 innings. He was charged with his fourth loss of the season.
- Connor Staskey threw a scoreless bottom of the seventh inning for Temple earning his third win.
- Temple's Ryan Kuehn threw the ninth, picking up his third save.
"It's a disappointing weekend, we pitched well enough to stay in the game, but didn't pitch well enough to win the game and we didn't get a big hit on the offensive side. I still have tremendous faith in our players, and in what they are doing. We just have to stick to the process and continue to move forward."
- Coach Shawn Stiffler Head Coach
VCU continues its five-game home stand with a mid-week matchup against Maryland on April 16. First pitch is set at 6 p.m.