FINAL: Monmouth 7, VCU 1 – (Richmond, Va. – The Diamond)
VCU STARTERS: Bunn (LF), Weymouth (1B), Cujas (3B), Ayers (C), Machin (SS), Buran (RF), Acker (CF), Thomas (DH), Crimi (2B), Farrar (P)
MONMOUTH STARTERS: Wilgus (CF), Guida (SS), Gronsky (2B), Sweeney (RF), Perret (DH), Bamford (LF), Stewart (1B), Perry (C), Alessandrine (3B), Yunginger (P)
THE BASICS: Monmouth used a four-run second inning, catapulting the Hawks to a 7-1 victory over VCU on Sunday in the final game of a three-game series at The Diamond.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Monmouth (5-8) scored four runs with two outs in the top of the second inning. Chris Perret walked to start the inning and advanced to second on a one-out single from Owen Stewart. With two outs, Robbie Alesandreen singled scoring the game's first run. The next batter, Steve Wilgus singled to right field plating Stewart, putting the Hawks up 2-0. Jon Guida's two-RBI single down the right field line gave Monmouth the lead 4-0.
- The Hawks added another run in the top of the fourth inning. Stewart led off with a single and advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt. Wilgus singled to shallow center field, scoring Stewart and putting Monmouth up 5-0.
- In the top of the fifth inning the Hawks added two more runs. The rally was started with back-to-back singles from Guida and Jake Gronsky. With two outs and the bases loaded, Stewart singled to give Monmouth a 7-0 lead.
- VCU (11-5) scored its only run in the bottom fifth inning. With the bases loaded, sophomore Vimael Machin battled the count full, and eventually walked, earning the RBI. The run cut Monmouth's lead to 7-1.
INISIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Freshman James Bunn led the Rams with two-hits. It was his team-leading eighth multi-hit game of the season.
- Machin picked up his team-leading 15th RBI in the bottom of the eighth.
- Freshman Dan Black made his first career appearance in relief for the Rams. He allowed just one hit in two innings of work.
- There was an hour and 48 minute rain delay before first pitch.
"It was disappointing loss. Give Monmouth credit they did a good job of getting hits with two outs all weekend and we needed to a better job of making pitches in those situations."
- Head Coach Shawn Stiffler on the game
"We are in a little bit of a funk right now, but I am looking forward to playing a good Rutgers team this week and pushing forward."
- Stiffler on the road ahead
VCU returns to The Diamond continuing its home stand with two mid-week games with Big East foe Rutgers starting on Tuesday, March 19 at 6 p.m.