Gold Team takes Game Two 3-1, Tie Black and Gold World Series at One
FINAL: Gold 3, Black 1 (Game 2 of the Black and Gold World Series) (Richmond, Va.)
BLACK STARTERS: #9 Acker (CF), #3 Prentiss (3B), #25 Machin (SS), #7 Ayers (LF), #24 Buran (RF),
#11 Haymaker (C), #18 Lee (1B), #12 Malan (2B) and Morrison (P)
GOLD STARTERS: #2 Cullen (CF), #10 Crimi (SS), #4 Cujas (3B), #26 Marino (2B), #19 Thomas (1B),
#34 Yount (RF), #11 Octavi (C), #1 Bunn (CF), and Storey (P)
THE BASICS: The Gold team used a three-run bottom of the third inning sparked by a Trevor Marino base hit to knot the Black and Gold World Series at a game apiece. The three-run outburst backed strong pitching performances from Jordan Storey, Seth Greene, and Ryan Farrar.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Storey threw two scoreless innings and worked out of a second inning jam to keep the game scoreless through the first two innings.
- With an out in the third innning, junior Bill Cullen sparked the rally with a single. Tom Crimi followed with a walk and Gold had runners on first and second. Marino sent a single to center, but after an error he advanced to third and both runners scored. Freshman Michael Thomas followed with a single and plated Marino, and put Gold up 3-0 at the end of the third inning.
- The Black team did not go away and brought the tying run to the plate in the top of the sixth inning. A two-out single by sophomore Vimael Machin started the rally. Junior Chris Ayers followed with a double which brought home Machin, and made the score 3-1. However, with the tying run at the plate, Gold's pitcher, Farrar, was able to get the final out and preserve the win for Gold.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- The Black and Gold World Series is tied at a game apiece, the winner of the third game will take home the annual crown.
- All games in the 2012 Black and Gold World Series are six innings.
- Marino finished the night 2-3 with an RBI.
- Greene pitched two scoreless innings, and recorded a strikeout. He earned the win for the Gold team.
- Farrar who allowed only a run in his two innings, was credited with the save.
"I thought we did a good job tonight. We wanted to see what we could get out of [Jordan] Storey and he gave us two big zeros, and Seth Greene pitched well behind him. A big hit from Trevor Marino in the middle of the game to lifted us to the victory."
-Gold Team Coach Seth Cutler-Voltz
The third and decisive game of the Black and Gold World Series will be at 7:15 on Friday, Oct. 26. The gates will open at 6:30 and the game is free and open to the public.