ATLANTIC 10 101: XAVIER UNIVERSITY
A-10 Member Since
Xavier Athletics Homepage
Distance from the Siegel Center- 8 hours and 36 minutes (bus or driving) and approximately 3 hours (flight).
- Was found in 1831, and is a private Catholic and Jesuit University. It was the first Jesuit School in the Northwest Territory, and the sixth oldest Jesuit school in the United States.
- The University has an enrollment of 4,000 undergraduate students as well as 2,600 graduate students.
- Xavier plays its home basketball games in the Cintas Center which was open on campus in 2000. Also plays home to Xavier Volleyball matches.
- The building seats 10,250 people and also is used for a concert venue on campus. (Concerts include: Bob Dylan, OAR, Dane Cook, among many others)
- Xavier has a graduation rate of 94% of its student-athletes which is third in the country behind Duke and Stanford.
- Xavier is one of a handful of universities who use two mascots. D'Artagnan, the Musketeers is the schools official mascot, and was established in 1925. Probably more famous however is the Blue Blob, which is a furry creature that makes appearance at Xavier sporting events including the annual Blue Blob Appreciation night at a men’s basketball game each season.
- The Blue Blob has been seen in SportsCenter commercials, most recently with anchors Scott Van Pelt, John Anderson, and NFL Hall of Famer Jim Kelly.
- John Bohener, Speaker of the House
- David West, NBA Player (Indiana Pacers)
- Jim Bunning, Former Kentucky Senator, and Baseball Hall of Famer, threw the sixth perfect game in big league history
- James Posey, NBA Player (Miami Heat)