ATLANTIC 10 101: SAINT JOSEPH'S UNIVERSITY
A-10 Member Since
St. Joe's Athletics Homepage
Distance- 4 hours and 40 minutes (by bus) about an 1 hour flight
Athletics- St. Joseph’s fields 20 varsity Division I sports teams. The Hawks compete in baseball, men’s and women’s basketball, men’s and women’s cross country, field hockey, men’s golf, women’s lacrosse, men’s and women’s rowing, men’s and women’s soccer, softball, men’s and women’s tennis, men’s and women’s track and field.
- St. Joesph’s founded in 1851 as St. Joesph’s College by the Society of Jesus
- Today the university has 8,950 students enrolled.
- At St. Joe’s there are no scheduled classes on Tuesday and Thursday from 11- 1:15, so student organizations can meet. This tradition is known as free period
- It is considered bad luck for to walk across the university seal, which is on the floor of Mandeville Hall, until their senior year.
- There is a statue of St. Joseph in front of Barbelin Hall where students rub his toes for good luck
- There are over 50,000 living St. Joe’s alumni in all 50 states and 59 countries
- St. Joe’s is set to unveil three new athletic fields on the McGuire campus for softball, baseball and field hockey
- The motto for St. Joe’s athletics is “The Hawk will never die” and is chanted at basket games, but is also why the Hawk flaps his wings throughout all events he attends.
- The Hawk first flapped his wings at a basketball in 1956 in a win over LaSalle
- Jamie Moyer, MLB pitcher
- Jameer Nelson, NBA player
- Delonte West, NBA player
- Jack Ramsey, NBA player
- Bruiser Flint, Drexel head coach
- Joe Lunardi, ESPN bracketologist
- Muffet McGraw, women’s basketball player and head coach at Notre Dame